Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Fish Whisperer?

Swim Whisperer? Whatever. Let's just call him a great swim instructor. My kids have started taking semi-private lessons from a friend from church and he has been AMAZING! The first day, Hazel screamed and cried as usual. I just went inside and let Holden do his thing. She stopped crying about 1 minute later and by the end of her class, she was excited to tell me what she had done and was actually WILLING to go back next time. It's been so great. She is still progressing a little slowly and not necessarilly thrilled to put her face under, but she does it! And she does it without screaming and fighting. That's all the progress I need!





She wouldn't even let this position happen with the last teacher...
much less this even less secure one.
He had them swim together and even "race" each other across the pool. I think that helped her get excited about it.

She even let THIS happen for a fraction of a second...
and came up with a smile on her face!!!!



Owen needed the most practice on backstroke and floating on his back. His progress has been amazing! He actually even floated on his back all by himself today without any help. I don't know why that part has been so scary for him, but I am so proud of him for overcoming!
And you should see his breaststroke! Here he is learning the proper leg movements. He made it across the whole pool today doing his breaststroke without holding his nose. What a man.


And this was my favorite poolside picture yet from this summer.




9 comments:

Anonymous said...

amazing! Go Owen and Hazel. Aunt Meredith is seriously proud of you!!

Rachel said...

oh, its so nice when your kids learn to swim. then mommy can work on her tan! :)

My kids are always so scared to go on their backs too...??

Christie said...

Yay Owen and Hazel! How excited and proud you must be!

The Allred Family said...

Owen..I didn't know you had been working out. That six pack is making my husband jealous!:) I need a swim teacher like that. Ella just got out of swim lessons and I have to say, she isn't a much better swimmer. Or I should say floater since she can't really do anything without floats STILL.

sondra german said...

got your comment... sooo are you saying that once we have kids we cease to be awesome? see i think what you're saying that yall are awesomer than us because you have kids, which makes us really awesome if we can be awesome without them, but that we're not really living up to our full potential. that's what i'm telling justin you meant... need confirmation.

sondra german said...

oh. well. i may be developing a baby complex.

Hairs To You said...

Sexy tummy rolls, Owenator! I am so proud of them!

Nicole said...

It's sooo much more fun when they're happy in the water! Yay Owen and Hazel!

You asked about the toe...She was looking in the piano bench and it tipped over and fell right on top of her toe.

Meghan and Randy said...

HAHA! I cracked up when I saw those pictures of you at the crater. You look HIGH-LARIOUS. Holden is a really fun guy so I can understand why Hazel likes him! Hazel's teacher at the pool- the one you didn't like- is in the biltmore ward in your stake. Good job, Hazel and Owen!