Sunday, August 2, 2009

Mission Beach

Get ready for a barrage of photos that are probably only interesting to me.

On Wednesday night, we threw a bunch of crap (and the kids) into the car and drove to San Diego for a weekend beach trip. Here are the highlights of our trip via picture story...

Sooo....it just struck me that I have no pictures of our first morning where we spent three hours in the hotel dealing with a Hazelum (far worse than a normal tantrum). Oh well...if only I could record these things so you guys would understand the drama that is Hazel. I love that girl. Suffice it to say that she did not enjoy her first taste of bar soap. :)

Once we made it out of our hotel room (around 11:30), we went straight to the beach. Now let me digress a bit from my story to let everyone out there know that my dear husband is in love with the beach. It turns him into a little boy. Unlike me, it doesn't bother him to have seaweed wrap around his ankles and drag him into the eye-burning, salty water as wave after wave crashes against his face and pushes more stinging water up his nose. He doesn't mind clawing his way to safety only to have sand fill his every nook and cranny and rub him raw while he is attempting to relax and unwind.



Well...apparently the kids have acquired my slight aversion to the beach. Where do I start?


Hazel. Well....Hazel's drama carried over onto the sand. She was only a little apprehensive at first and asked Owen to hold her hand on the way to the water.



If you have read my stories about swim lessons, you can guess what happened when the water didn't even sit still for her, but instead came rushing noisily in her direction. She was not exactly thrilled.


Apparently life is going to supply me with ample opportunity to capture this lovely look.


But we still cruelly forced her to stand on the edge a couple of times just to torture everyone around us (this picture is to make up for the cruel one that I will post of Nathan momentarily).And somehow she still managed to conjure up a smile for the camera.




So I spent the majority of my time hanging out at our little campsite. Nathan was genius enough to figure out how to keep this tent from flying away in the wind.

I watched Hazel as she played in the sand and said over and over again "This is fun, Mom!" I couldn't tell if she was trying to convince herself or just trying to show me that she could have fun without getting in the water.



She convinced Daddy and Owen to help her build a castle


One of my favorite moments was when she found this "nest" (aka wad of seaweed) and decided that the reason the seagull kept coming near us was because he was trying to get this nest back. It definitely didn't have anything to do with the Doritos that were being dropped into the sand around us. So she decided to give this poor birdie his nest back. It was hilarious watching her run after him trying to calm him with her sweet high-pitched voice.





She finally just set the nest down and flapped her arms a couple of times while giving her finest seagull call. I guess she thought this was the best way to make him aware of her intentions. I was laughing too hard to get a picture of the wing flapping.


Let me just have one moment where I talk about my self-loathing. It was not exactly uplifting to flop around on the beach watching young twenty-somethings with perfect bodies prance around me. I just ate a few oreos while comparing my body to theirs. Then I found this guy. Oh how I wish I could have gotten a better picture of him without bringing attention to myself. And I wish he hadn't put his arm in front of his distended belly right as I took this picture. I mean, come on! A speedo is never exactly exciting to see, but especially when it is on a pale body with chicken legs and an engorged gut. Watching him frolic in the waves was definitely entertaining and helped take my mind off the fact that I was literally the only woman on the beach that day without a model's figure.



The next morning, we started out with a filling breakfast at The Mission...yummy.

While waiting for a table, these three young girls walked up to the menu that was posted on the window to decide what they were going to order. I overheard one girl asking another "What's $1.50 and $2.50? " and then she answered herself with "Oh yeah... $3.00." Nobody corrected her. It was awesome.


And then we did this tour of all these ships. They were cool. Don't ask me to repeat a single fact about any of them. But we got some cute pics! :)










This was Hazel attempting to skip.


And some more of my favorite beach pictures from day two. Owen also had to be forced into the water, but decided at the last minute that he liked it and I think he even got his head wet at one point.






Why do people insist on taking these pictures of themselves? Do they EVER turn out flattering?!












Owen's "souvenir" that he wanted to bring home. Not in MY car, buddy!

There were no bathrooms close by. So Hazel announced "I have to pee" and dug herself a little hole in the ground. Yep..I'm serious. That's how we roll...white trash style.















Owen was desperate to be buried in the sand, but I'm pretty sure he immediately regretted it.

Sandy wedgie...














The trip home :(



Our trip was too short and we came home to WAY too much stress, but it was a sorely needed vaca and I'm glad we did it.


And the grand finale (and to make up for the whalish pictures I posted of myself).....





What a man.

9 comments:

sondra german said...

great post! can't believe you put soap in hazel's mouth! i have every intention of raising children the same way! people think i'm mean when i tell them that. so i chase them with a bar of soap. i love your bathing suit! i almost countered your "whale-ish" photos with my own, just to make you feel better... i'm selfless like that... but i think it's kind of rude to trump someone on their own blog... so i didn't... you know, for your own good. and since we're talking garbage about younger women (you started it), have you noticed how skanky girls are dressing these days?? i would NEVER have shown my bra (or straps) back in the day... and if i was concerned it might show i'd be sure to wear the same color bra as the shirt i was wearing to minimize noticeability. these girls are trying to show straps. not as skanky as thongs showing, but almost. but that's all whole other topic. anyway, all this to say that i love your bathing suit... very classy if you ask me (you know, the prude).

Jerry said...

Lots of great picks whale mama...I was showing becky at my office your pics and she said about you...she is so beautiful. I said she looks just like me.
Hazel is ready for anything now that she can pee on the beach. Classic.

Anonymous said...

Ha ha! Sandtastic! A quick beach get away is always loads of fun.

Those 20-somethings aren't half as cute as you. AND, you can do math.

Provocative Hubby pose is The Best.

Anonymous said...

love this post!

1. Did you go buy that suit for Hazel after you told me that she didn't want that one and you wished that you could have convinced her to get that one?

2. Love your suit and you look beautiful! So quit the self loathing.

3. Sondra's comment cracked me up. Mom and I were just talking the other day about girls trying to show bra straps when we saw this obese women on HGTV who was wearing a tank top (on national TV mind you) and had black bra straps hanging out. What you want to wear in the comfort of your own home is one thing...ok, I'm getting off track.

4. I'm so with you on the sand, beach, etc.

5. That breakfast looked awesome!!

6. Love the pics of the kids on the boat steps. Adorable.

Rebecca said...

i ALWAYS laugh at your posts. you guys are such adventurous parents to get up and take a trip like that. that pic of that speedo guy and nathan were hilarious. priceless. why do funny things always happen in your presence???

Unknown said...

The speedo guy totally grossed me out! Seriously, what was he thinking?? I'm with everyone else, you look awesome. But, of course when you compare yourself to plastic surgery, it is going to be a bit discouraging :)Looks like you guys had fun. I would love to have a cooler weather get away about now. :)

Cynthia said...

You didn't let Owen bring home his beach souvenir?? You mean mom.

Sounds like a fun fun trip. I love the beach too.

Rachel said...

I cannot explain how hard I'm laughing right now...so dang funny. Why does Nathan's head look like its backwards on his body??? :)

Owen's beach souvenir is either a dead octopus or part of a 1950 astronaut outfit.

just another day said...

I loved reading that post and looking at the barage of pics. Loved teh seagull story and I love your self-deprication...really, I do. You're the only person I know brave enough to post pics like that (Not that it was bad...I think you're pretty hot...., but I don't think I would have one of me in my swimsuit) and then diss themselves. I love it. The honesty...the pure honesty.