Monday, March 2, 2009

Visitors = productivity

I have company coming in a few days, and it has made me do some strange things. Things that make me realize I am definitely my mom's daughter. I used to roll my eyes at her because she would (and still does) decide to rearrange the whole house if someone was coming to visit. And she would think of these totally unnecessary projects that just HAD to be done before they got there. Now I realize that maybe she was just using that company as an excuse to finally do the things she had been wanting to get done!



OR she is just super OCD (I am still talking about myself as my mother here).

So- I climbed on my roof to cut down some branches off a tree. They weren't harming anyone! Poor branches. I scrubbed and washed my front porch and front door. I raked my back yard. I organized all my sheet music (just in case they rifle through THAT cabinet). I hung the pictures on my kids' walls that have been sitting on the floor for the past 5 months. And I painted my dining room table.


I have REALLY been wanting to paint my table since the day I got it. It is seriously the table I have always wanted. I have always wanted a really long, dark brown, farmhouse style table. And this was IT! Except the leaf wasn't painted the same color as the rest of the table.....and the rest of the table wasn't brown. But it was a GREAT deal, and my mommy bought it for me for Christmas, so I knew I would be able to make it my dream table. :) Not to mention the fact that it would fill a completely empty room. I wasn't going to complain!


So- here it is before:





And here it is after:




Now I just need the second leaf, a rug, a light fixture, curtains, two upholstered armchairs, paint and art on the walls, and I will love my dining room! Who am I kidding? I will never be satisfied. But I do like the table!

8 comments:

sondra german said...

the table looks great lindsey!

and because i have nothing better to do than critique your spelling... your misspelled "climbed". yeah.

my word today is "dicac"... i think it's the sound you made when you realized you misspelled "climbed".

Rebecca said...

Amen! Rachel and Brian stopped over on their way to UT this w/e and you wouldn't believe the list of things I got done. Even Christian joined me! REally cute table- you are so ambitious!

Jake and Emily Hutchings Family said...

go girl!! did you paint that brown or strip and stain it? it looks fabulous!

Unknown said...

Cute table! Will you paint some stuff for me?!

christian@dontdodumbthings.com said...

So true. I knew things had gotten out of control when I walked in and Rebecca had taken all the couch cushions off and was vacuum hosing down in every crack in the couch frame. This was after she cleaned all the baseboards. When dudes think of cleaning for company, they think about doing everything necessary to not have visible chunks of dirty things showing; i.e., vacuuming and wiping counters. Greasing the piano wheels and re-staining the bottom of the dvd player to prepare for company just don't occur to us.

The Allred Family said...

I am that EXACT same way. Company is great b/c it keeps a fire under your/my butt. Myhusband laughs at me at the way I scramble to get things done when someone's coming. WHo is coming? Anyone I know? Your table looks professionally done. GREAT job!!!!!!!

Lindsey said...

Wow- thanks for all the nice comments. I did NOT strip and stain. Way too lazy for that. I just painted it and left it kind of streaky because I thought that kind of gave it a wood grain look. It actually looks WAY better in the pictures than it does in real life. It's definitely a very unprofessional job. :) But I'm glad the pictures made it look good!

Paige said...

Looks Awesome!

And to answer Claire's question cause Lindsey didn't- our aunt and cousins are going there for a visit and I'm so jealous!!!