Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Guilty Pleasures

In one short month, I will be here. I can hardly believe it. Nathan and I have never been....well...anywhere. I told him I am totally counting this as our first "out of the country" adventure together. It counts, okay?





I don't even know what to think. It totally hasn't sunk in. I have looked at the pictures and listened as Nathan tells me of volcano tours, and surf lessons,but all I am thinking about is cleaning the house, shopping trips to find the right kind of clothes, cleaning out my car, shopping for groceries, organizing all the kids' activities, and GUILT!!!!! I don't mean the regular kind of mom guilt. This is worse than I have ever felt. I can't believe we are leaving our kids for an entire week. They have never been away from both of us like this. We are leaving them with amazing friends who I know will treat them as their own, but it doesn't help my guilt even the tiniest bit. I get stomach pains thinking about it. My kids are pretty old. Are they going to remember this and resent me for it forever?! They both felt very betrayed when they found out we were taking such an awesome trip without them...



WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME!?



I should be jumping for joy! No 2 am wake-up calls from Hazel. No homework. No fighting traffic @ the school. No fights over who is touching who or who did something the fastest or who is going to sit where. No yelling, no headaches, no crying, no whining....



The problem is, this also means no sweet little kisses. No listening to Hazel rattle off the entire day's events in 2 minutes. No wrapping my arms around those warm little bodies and sneaking in a good bum squeeze whenever I want. No hearing Owen's overly mature insights. I won't get to see their excited little faces for a whole week.



Will they be okay?



Will I be okay?



I literally get choked up thinking about it. I guess skype will become my best friend.

8 comments:

Nicole said...

First of all, JEALOUS! You are going to have an amazing trip. I always hate it when people go to Hawaii because they always talk about how amazing it is and I don't see us ever going (at least it feels like it.)

Second, you wouldn't be a good mom if you didn't feel guilty. You deserve time to yourselves and it's good for the kids to see you and Nathan spending time like that together and celebrating your marriage. They might give you a huge guilt trip, but in the long run it will be a positive thing! Or they might not even miss you and cry when you get back because they have to go back to the regular boring routine. Kids can surprise you :)

Mostly, HAVE FUN!

The Allred Family said...

OH MY FREAKIN *(&#@&^ *. I just wrote this extensive comment and it got erased. Here were the main points:
1) didn't know you were blogging again. Hallelujah.
2) forget the guilt. Your realtionship with Nathan must be apirority and it's imperitive that the kids see it as thus.
3) I am a pro at leaving my kids. Don't call, and definitely don't guilt. Don't even think about the. HEHEHE.Evil.

Cynthia said...

You are so so so so smart for taking a kid-free trip with your husband. Yes, you will miss your kids, but give yourself just a few minutes each day to focus on them, let it go the rest of the day and have fun.
It will probably end up being a fun little vacation of their own.

Unknown said...

The hardest days are the first and last. We left Marley for 10 days when she was 10 months and I totally cried in the airport on the way there and the way back, but the rest of the time was SO great. I think it takes having kids and the CONSTANT busy-ness that brings to really appreciate a kid-free trip. I knew Marley was in good hands (and it sounds like you have great people to leave your kids with) so I totally enjoyed it. It also helped that my mom sent me a text every once in a while with a pic of her smiling or laughing. I totally believe that leaving your kids and spending time with your spouse on a trip or date nights or whatever is good and important. And, even though they won't see it like this, it is good for them to have parents that have worked on their relationship with each other :) Yay for you guys. You will have so much fun. :)

Anonymous said...

I totally understand!!!

But, Claire is right, it is a good example to them that your relationship with Nath is important.

At least you aren't leaving them on their birthday without notice to go to Hawaii and leaving them with their grandparents and notifying them of all of this the day you leave by a note from the school office. Yeah, that happened to my husband. Sad. Oh, and I think it was like his 16th birthday or something. A big one.

Suzanne Barker said...

It definately counts as out of the country. I haven't been there yet either and can't wait.
So I want to see the pictures of Nathan surfing and you doing the splits in mid air just like the lady is!!
The kids will be fine and you will have a great time!

Angie said...

You defininatly deserve it! If you can, I recommend going to Maui, the Pearl Harbor Memorial, and especially PARASAILING!!! It was amaizing!! Have fun!!

sondra german said...

this is awesome. you totally need it and you know it. i hope you have the time of your life... you know, so far... i don't want THIS to be it, forever or anything. ;)