Monday, June 22, 2009

Water torture....

Last week, Hazel and Owen's swim classes started. I was so thrilled that Hazel's friend Alex was signed up for the same time slot as us. I thought this would make for much smoother sailing. And at first it appeared to be working. Here they are meeting their teacher and looking thrilled to be such big girls!

That was before Hazel realized that she would actually have to get in the water. Her teacher immediately made her put her face under water. Even though Hazel is deathly afraid of water being on her face, I was glad that the instructor was being so assertive. Then they went right into this:




Which led to this:



Little did she know it was only going to get worse. Her teacher made them tandem dive for objects on the bottom of the pool. On the FIRST DAY! Now I was starting to feel a little annoyed. My child was screaming bloody murder and clawing to get away and this girl just kept dunking her under the water. Now....maybe she isn't aware of this, but when you go under water with your mouth wide open, you choke on the water. Maybe I should have explained that to her.



Then they practiced this:
Which led to some more of this:
Every time the teacher let go of her, Hazel scrambled to get out of the water and perch safely on the side of the pool crying and looking wounded. I just don't quite get how this is at all productive. They didn't build any trust or take the time to get to know each other. Hazel just sees this girl as a human torture device and now starts crying every time she sees her. I had to talk to the manager and get her to tell Hazel's teacher that I would be hanging out by the side of the pool during classes and making sure that Hazel was not pushed past her comfort level. It just went too far. I am ALL for tough love, but it went beyond that point. She even had nightmares about swimming after that first class. Even though she is getting a little better about trying things, she is still crying through every class and does not trust her teacher at all. I can tell she is just waiting for the girl to throw her in the water at any moment. Poor baby.
In sharp contrast, her friend Alex loved every minute of it and volunteers to do everything and even wants the teacher to let go of her so she can do it "all by myself"


Here she is swimming to the edge:




And darn proud of herself!


Notice I have no pictures of Owen. I almost forgot he was even there. Just to fill you in, though, everything on his end is going just swimmingly (der der) and he looks like an old pro out there!

8 comments:

Nicole said...

Poor, poor Hazel! I know exactly what you're going through. That was why I pulled L out of her last attempt at lessons. They just started too fast and didn't build the trust. She was a basketcase, crying the night BEFORE the lesson. I think with us, it was an age thing. She'll get it! Give her a big hug for me :(

Bandanamom said...

I know the teacher Lindsey - call me for advice. She's from the Biltmore Ward, Hailey Gardner and honestly, she's one of the best teachers at the pool. I totally get where you are coming from but let's chat...(Jordan used to scream when she was Hazel's age too and now she happily swims on the team everyday)

Paige said...

That's so SAD! Poor baby. I wish aunt Paige could just teach her to swim!!!

Rebecca said...

hmmm, this is a hard one, but i must admit it would be hard to see your little one suffer like that.

Danielle said...

I had a mean swim teacher that lasted only one day - and that was ALL the swim instruction I have ever received in my life! I don't really know how to swim - but I CAN save my own life - but no one else's! I don't really enjoy being IN the water but do enjoy being BY the water! I blame the mean old swim teacher for that! Thank goodness my girls had a navy search and rescue diver for their teacher and are not one bit afraid and can swim 1000 times better than their damaged mother!

Dionne said...

That's a level one swim class?? First day?? I'm with you; that seems a little brutal.

The Allred Family said...

You are scaring me...Ella starts swimming lessons on Monday and your blog described all my fears. GREAT!!!! By the way...hasn't that instructor ever heard of dry drowning??? Geez. I am all about tough love and have been hoping I get an ascertive teacher b/c it's definitely what ELla needs...but that's a bit much.

Hairs To You said...

Markle is the name of a street in Mere's old Philly neighborhood, and every time we would drive by it I would make this weird guttural (is that the right word) frog-like voice and say "markle" and crack myself up about it. No one else really thought it was funny though.