Monday, January 12, 2009

Fish Tales...

Our dear Nemo passed away today. This isn't exactly what he looked like. He had longer fins- more wispy. He really was a beautiful fish. People commented on it all the time. But after looking through literally 45 pages of goldfish pictures, I give up. Why, might you ask, did I waste such an elaborate amount of time looking for a picture of a fish that wasn't even Nemo?! Maybe because I felt guilty that I had never taken a picture of this fish in the 4 (2) years that we owned him. For crying out loud!!!! It's a fish! What am I talking about?!?!?!

So- since this was his second death, we decided to be done with him and actually tell the kids (something we neglected to do with the first passing) he had died and have a little burial for him in the backyard.

As Owen, Hazel, and I were covering his grave with dirt, Nathan walked off to find a rock to cover the grave. Suddenly, from the other side of the fence, we heard a very high-pitched, fishy sounding voice saying "Hey kids. This is the ghost of Nemo. I just wanted to tell you to obey your parents. Peace out."

Then I tried to sing Amazing Grace but Nathan cut me off and said that was a little over the top.

Farewell Nemo....you were a good fish with lots of good tricks. You can not be replaced....so I guess we will have to get a hermit crab.

11 comments:

Christie said...

Poor kiddos, losing their fish.

Now, how did you keep a straight face to even try to sing after hearing Nemo's Ghost?

Paige said...

Ummm...just so you know, I had several hermit crabs in my life and they always die. They crawl out of their shell when they outgrow it and even though you might have 5 shells for it to choose from, it won't like any of them and it will just dry out and die.

matt, bekah, jax said...

Where are you long last friend? I was in SL for a few weeks and came back and still you are no where to be found. Gym tomorrow?? How are you? I have a Christmas present for you that I would like to give you.

Meredith said...

freaking hilarious!

sondra german said...

you.are.too.funny.

Teresa said...

I second what Meredith said. I was feeling sad until the fishy voice from behind the fence admonished the kids to obey their parents. Gotta find the teaching moments where you can. :-)

dannii said...

i love nathan. long live nemo, the fish that you had. - Jess

ucmama said...

i read this in the morning and it has kept me smiling ALL DAY. tell Nathan I miss him and thanks for the laugh. oh yeah, and sorry for your kids' pet dying and all...

Jerry said...

I would have put him on ice and brought him with you for the next fish fry. He was quite plump. Did I ever tell you the story about the lady eating the fish (beta) centerpiece at a wedding one time?
Oh never mind.

Heather Crozier said...

Poor fish. My fish, Miguel, jumped down my drain when I was trying to clean the fish bowl and I was transferring him to a cup. :( I was very sad because my niece caught him for me at a ward party. I guess he just wanted to commit suicide. But all drains lead to the ocean, right?

I like how you had a funeral for Nemo. That's funny.

Rachel said...

You are freakin' hilarious...amazing grace? I can't even compete with your hilarity.