Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Itchiness

Lest anyone think I have exaggerated about the mosquitoes in our yard, I tried to take a picture of Hazel's legs this morning. This happened even though she had an OFF candle on either side of her head while she played outside. Can you say infestation?


Seriously- these pictures don't even BEGIN to portray the severity of her condition. Last night her legs were just two red, inflamed, itchy sticks torturing the lower half of her body. I feel so bad for her. I spent the whole night applying medicine repeatedly to her legs and laying with her so that I could hold her arms down to prevent scratching. Needless to say, my eyes were so puffy this morning, I could barely see, and poor Hazel is completely stuffed up from crying all night. It was horrible. Luckily my genius sister told me I should give her Benadryl tonight. Why didn't I think of that?!?! Wish us luck tonight.
On a happy note- this thing bloomed overnight! It really adds a nice touch to our otherwise drab back yard. :)

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Poor Hazel.

Nicole said...

Poor thing! That is miserable.

Paige said...

That's awful!!! You should also put the benadryl cream or calamine lotion on it. You can get exterminators to come spray the yard for mosquitos I think.

Danielle said...

Yes to the benadryl cream. Emma attracts all critters and they can be pretty bad in GA too. Something I did when she was little was coat her legs in benadryl cream or cortisone cream and put on a pair of Rodney's white knee-socks so she couldn't scratch in her sleep. They scratch them without knowing then they can get infected. I also use the wipes specifically for mosquitos - I forget the name brand - when she goes outside. Good luck - poor Hazel!

Anonymous said...

Poor baby! Avery has definitely had them that bad too from visiting G-Mommy's house. Their house is like yours...a safe haven for mosquitoes

sondra german said...

holy cow... i am a firm believer in deep woods off... they make sportmans off that's even better. i'm itchy just looking at the poor girl!

The Schaefer's said...

Poor little Hazel. As a former Pharmaceutical Technician, I say NO to using Benadryl cream AND Benadryl or Caldryl lotion at the same time. They all have diphenhydramine in them and you'll overdose her. Use one, or the other, but not both at the same time. Calamine lotion is good. To give her something to do, put some in a small bowl and get a paint brush and tell her to paint her bites. It worked for Hannah when she had chicken pox. Aveeno bath helps ease the itching, too.

Also, the Boy Scouts, when they came, use camp foggers to get rid of the bugs. It works great. You should use one in your back yard.

Hansen's blog said...

Those look just Karlie's chigger bites looked. Miserable, because they itch like crazy. Do they even have chiggers in Arizona? There is a great remedy that you can buy behind the pharmacy counter called Chigarid. You basically paint it on, and only after that did Karlie sleep through the night with the itching. Benadryl, etc., did not help with her bites at all--she still woke up scratching, which only makes chiggers worse. I know it's miserable for the whole family! Love your blog, btw.