Wednesday, August 6, 2008

When I grow up, I'm going to be a telemarketer

Inevitably, as soon as I start to drift off for my two-hour-middle-of-the-day nap, my phone rings. I usually turn it off, but today I chanced it.

So, I pick it up and say "Hello?" in my most pleasant, "I wasn't asleep" voice and hear a fast-talking young man on the other end. Despite his thick accent, I am able to decipher that he wants to survey me about my local grocery stores. I interrupt him and (very sweetly) say "No thank you." He pauses long enough to take half a breath and proceeds to tell me how important this survey is to my well-being and the safety of my community. I again interrupt him to say "No thank you" in a voice slightly firmer than before. He then asks me if he can speak to the person in the household over the age of 18 that does the grocery shopping.

Seriously? Shouldn't he have asked that question to begin with?

At this point, all bets are off and I am no longer restraining myself. I say "Don't you understand what 'No thank you' means?"

And he says....get this...."Yes....is there someone else I can speak to?"

So then I resorted to yelling "NO! I am the only person here that you can speak to and I DON'T WANT TO DO A SURVEY!!!"

He's lucky I'm not a curser (most of the time).

Needless to say, I turned my phone off and went back to sleep.


Just Say No to Telemarketers

6 comments:

Eve said...

My dad came to stay with us for a while. He lives off his SS check and disability, but he wanted a side job for the needed extra money. He said that he wanted, yes wanted, to get a job as a telemarketer because he's pretty good at it. I'd hate to be his victim!

Anonymous said...

Always ask for their home number and that you will call them back when it is better for you.
Usually shuts them up.

Meredith said...

hate them!! love that pic.

The Allred Family said...

that's hilarious! i haven't known u as the non-swearing type.

Teresa said...

I was a telemarketer back in the day. Waaaaay back in the day. Glad you got your nap after all. I wouldn't have been as pleasant-sounding as you. Actually, I would have had my phone set to silent. ;-)

Paige said...

I'll pass along the message.