Saturday, March 13, 2010

Day 1

It's Spring Break again and we are back in Georgia. We didn't fly standby this time, so the trip here was much more enjoyable. I will try to document our trip as we go so nobody (including me) will be overwhelmed with a huge post.


Some of the kids' quotes thus far:


-I was showing Owen where to throw away his paper towel in the airplane bathroom and he peered down into the little trash receptacle and asked "Does that make it go overboard?"


-About 2 hours into the flight, when his nerves had settled a bit, Owen said "I think this is going to be a lucky day for flying. You know, not like one of those unlucky ones where people, like, crash into the ocean or something."


-As we started to land, Hazel said "I'm so excited! We're about to be in Georgia!!!" and then looked out the window and saw the runway. She turned to Nathan and said in disgust. "Dad! This is the airport! We've been here already!"


-At Ghee's house, Owen found a bunch of Mardi Gras coins and said "Wow, Mom! Look at all these medals! Ghee must be really good at something."




We stayed the first night with Ghee. I love her house. I posted about it last time we visited, so I will spare you details, but it is just such a perfect grandma house on a little pond in the woods. And she had everything so clean and warm and welcoming. She even had her friend, Richard, MAKE a coffe table just for the kids. He carved some legs for this huge table and Ghee had it piled up with tons of Polly Pockets, a car and garage for Owen's miniature cars, and paper and markers. It was all on their level right when they walked in and they have been totally entertained since then!


It was tough to tear them away and convince them to go to bed. But Ghee's beds are sooo comfy they fell right asleep when their heads hit the pillow. They went straight to the table in the morning, giving us a couple of hours to "sleep in" before dragging ourselves from bed. We had just settled in for a day of being lazy when Richard invited us to come over to his house and ride four wheelers! YES! Nothing like some redneck activity our first day in GA. I don't think much else could have gotten me out of my pajamas today. I was thrilled. I haven't been on a four wheeler for......well- since I was 17.

This is Richard- he was so lovely and friendly and helped us have an awesome day.


I even convinced Hazel to get on the four wheeler with me. She liked it for a while, but was getting hit in the face with rain the whole time and it was also pretty chilly, so her joy was short lived.
Owen, however just had to get one little taste of power and freedom and he was unstoppable.

Then he had his first wreck. I was behind him, so to me it looked like the thing flipped over on top of Owen. Needless to say, I pretty much threw up in my mouth as I was running across the field to rescue him. When I reached him, he was on the ground giggling, so I quickly switched my attention to the four wheeler. Everyone/thing was okay and he hopped back on and kept riding. And fyi- he took off his helmet for this picture, but was absolutely wearing one while riding.

After that adventure, we hopped on the swing in the front yard. This swing was hung about 30 feet up a tree, so it was more of a gliding motion than swinging. The kids loved it. Owen took a turn, Hazel took a turn,





Even Daddy did it!

So of course I had to give it a try. I hoisted my overweight body into the swing (which is about 3 feet off the ground) and plopped my butt down, only to lean all the way back and fall out of the air, slamming the back of my head into the ground. Richard chuckled and said "You are officially the first person to ever do that." I really wish someone had taken a video, because I'm sure it looked hilarious, but it hurt like a mother. I couldn't get up for a while. My eyes wouldn't focus and my ears were ringing. I have never hit my head that hard. A few minutes later, my tongue got numb and tingly and I felt light-headed. Needless to say, I refused to take a nap because I'm a little worried, but I think I will survive. :)
Stay tuned for more action-packed fun.

3 comments:

Jordan said...

Lol. I love the Part where Hazel said this is the airport hahahah. Hope you guys have fun, sounds like you are! :)

TheoMama said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
TheoMama said...

I promise I didn't say anything vulgar; I just read it and it sounded weird. What I meant to say was, you look very pretty in the 4 wheeler picture. Also, I saw that Meredith is listed as Megadeth and I totally laughed cuz' that's all I remember calling her back in the day.