Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Stories

I left the house today without my phone. What did we do before cell phones?! I was gone for a total of 4 1/2 hours and the whole time I was thinking of all the important calls I could possibly be missing.

1. Owen is lost at the zoo (he's on a field trip today)
2. Your house is on fire.
3. Your husband has been in an accident.
4. You just won a million dollars.
5. Everyone you know just died.

Seriously, though...I felt so stressed out the whole time I was gone. I couldn't see all my facebook notifications, emails, or messages until I got home. I didn't realize how dependent I am.

______________________________________

I cleaned a house yesterday- an empty rental property. The tenants had just moved out. This place was probably 1300 sq. ft. There was brand new carpet, so I didn't have to mess with that. There were brand new tile floors in the bathrooms and kitchen. There was new paint on all the walls. The oven, the dishwasher, and the blinds were all being replaced. I thought I was going to be able to breeze through that place in a couple of hours. It took me EIGHT HOURS to clean. I can't even explain how disgusting the bathrooms were. I had to scrape the tub with a credit card to get the build up off of the sides. I had to use a tootbrush around the toilet seat to get all the goop out of the crevices. Every single light switch and outlet was almost black with dirty fingerprints. The ceiling fans were literally dripping with dust and cobwebs. The windows (on the inside) had to be scrubbed with a sponge before they would come clean. I spent two hours alone on the refrigerator. I had to use a metal scraper on the inside of the fridge to get off the sticky, gooey spills and food that had piled up over the years. I had to use that same scraper on the fronts of the kitchen cabinets because they were caked with grease and food.

Don't get me wrong. I LOVE my job. I love to clean and I love seeing the job get done well and I love the money I make. :) But I get so mad when a place is like that. People LIVED there. They bathed in that tub! They put their food in that refrigerator! I just don't get it. I get that some people aren't as meticulous as others, but people that NEVER clean ANYTHING!?!?!?! I do NOT get that. And it disgusts me.

And to top it all off, by the time I was done there was a half-dead pigeon on the front walkway and I had to push it into the bushes with my broom and it just let me push it along while it pooped all over my broom and the sidewalk. Oh man, I hate pigeons. I tried to purposely hit one with my car today. Am I going to hell?

______________________________________

This morning I woke up at 7:15 and walked out into my living room to find Owen sitting on the couch with his school directory opened in his lap, the phone up to his ear. I gasped and said "WHO are you talking to at 7:15 in the morning?!?" He said, "Kyle."

Needless to say, I had to get Kyle's mom on the phone and apologize profusely. Luckily she had a sense of humor about the whole thing.

______________________________________

My teeth are rotting. I just don't understand. Nathan gives me a hard time about how long I take to brush my teeth. I never fail to brush them twice a day. I never fail to floss at night. So why are my teeth so crappy? I literally have a huge hole in one of my molars. I just discovered it the other day. Just a big ol' hole straight down to the nerve. And a molar on the other side causes me random, occasional, excruciating pain when I bite down on things like bread....a noodle....a french fry. Things you wouldn't expect to hurt. I just already have so much silver in my mouth I can't stand the thought of getting more. :(

I know I am addicted to sugar (as Meredith pointed out), but I would think that if I brushed and flossed regularly that wouldn't matter. It's not like I'm eating sweets all day long....most of the time. So frustrating.

______________________________________

8 comments:

Cynthia said...

Great random list of life experiences.
Ewww about the condition of the house. I can't believe people don't clean at ALL.
My car broke down on the freeway late at night once and I didn't have a phone. No one stopped to help. I suppose everyone thinks you have a phone and you have already called for help. I had to hike to the next exit in the dark.

Jake and Emily Hutchings Family said...

a day in the mind of lindsey...scary!

Paige said...

OMG- that is SO funny that Owen called someone that early. I remember Dad having a talk with me about it being rude to call people before 9 AM when I was younger.

That house sounded disgusting. You should never go to my in-laws'.

Happy birthday tomorrow!!!

Bandanamom said...

1. You should never talk about how much you like to clean houses in a ward where people who might be in Relief Society presidencies are listening (remind me to tell you about the cockroach house sometime...good times) 2. Pigeons are the most disgusting creatures on earth and now you'll have to burn that broom handle! 3. Often, but not always, houses like that are also full of the remnants of mental illness, substance abuse, despair and abuse, so be sure and wash that off when you get home as well... 4. Your kid is a crack -up! 5. I hate it when I leave the house without my phone, it makes me nuts - I remember when I tried to explain to Ms. Cynthia Hale why she needed a phone a few years ago (she thought all of the rest of us were crazy to willingly carry a device wherein her husband and/or other people in her home could contact her at any time...there are days when I realize how much wisdom she had in that moment before she gave in and got one too)...

sondra german said...

yeah, i think everyone is with you on the phone... but it's still sad. ;)

owen is a hoot. lol

i'm pretty sure you won't go to hell for trying to kill the bird that likely carries the plague that will take us all out one day. nasty, disease-carrying creatures.

um, i didn't clean my stand-alone shower for a year. actually i still haven't... justin did! i'm not proud and this is a huge (semi)public confession! BUT this is coming from some who cleans everything else as though company will pop in at any moment. and i'm gonna hit "publish" without proofreading this comment because i might just delete this confession. :/ lol

sondra german said...

oh and about your teeth...
mine are already messed up so i'm dealing with the repairing process now. blows. but something i've learned through all of this is that brushing and flossing is wonderful gets all the gunk off that accumulated during the day (you might also want to add a flouride rinse to your morning and evening routine). but the main thing is to rinse your mouth out (water or mouthwash) after you eat. the acid in foods are what attack your teeth (that's how i heard whatever gibberish the dentist was spouting).
that's all i've got...

Anonymous said...

MAGIC MAID: Hurray for house-cleaning girls! I did that, too once upon a time! I thought it was great fun to clean someone else's house. Maybe a status thing; but I was always assigned the bathrooms since I was the new girl. Not too cool, but I put a lot of muscle into it so I could hurry and do other parts of the house before the other girls got there. My favorite house was one that had a little boy living there. I loved to organize his go-bots, hotwheels, army men and rock collection of the week (even though I had strict orders not to "Pick up kid mess" - apparently not in the contract)but I was fast and had 2 boys of my own so it was very fun! My worst house was a South Tempe McMansion gone haywire with gaudy French castle turrets and and every "look at where my money has gone" architectural feature possible. The young, prissy lady of the house literally followed me while I dusted. I was thinking "Excuse me my liege, do it your own damn self!"

CELL PHONES: Ha Ha! Anyone remember putting a dime in the pay phone? We did that during a Road Show competition (literally on the road!) and told the operator yes, it WAS an emergency to interrupt someone's busy phone line because they had a piece of scenery we had forgotten! She agreed with us it was a true emergency and our salvation call got through.

DENTAL: 1) The strength of your enamel is foremost based on the water supply where you lived from the womb to about 3 1/2 yrs. old. Fluoride and mineral content in the water supply actually do miracles in presenting what adult enamel you end up with. 2) You mentioned multiple silver (amalgam) restorations. While the debate is still on whether or not one's health is effected by the mercury content (which is in ALL amalgams), one thing is for sure: the mercury in the amalgam will expand and contract as we eat & drink hot & cold foods (think of a thermometer). This action, though microscopic - will over time weaken a tooth or even contribute to cracking it (talking about a multiple surface filling). They (amalgams) also break down over time, and the margins will begin to leak...no matter how fastidiously you brush & floss. Both factors contribute to the necessity (now that bonding has been refined & improved) of replacing your old amalgams with bondings. They have about a 25 year longevity now, I think, which is a huge improvement. They will not conduct heat and cold like the silver ones, and they do not leak at the margins. They can chip, but a bonding can be added-to with another "patch" bonding. You have to remove the entire silver filling if there is a chip. 3) The symptoms you describe for the random shooting pain even with soft foods is totally classic for a cracked tooth - especially if that is a tooth with a large (2 or more sided)silver filling in it. 4) Make sure your toothbrushes are always SOFT bristled; nothing harsher - I don't care what anyone tells you, this is also very important. (Mouth washes do more harm than good- skip these if you think they are making your mouth cleaner. Use what we always told patients: 1 tsp salt in an 8 oz. glass of warm water for the best oral rinse.) 5) Regular flossing is excellent and exactly what is protecting your gum and bone health. Dealing with "soft" enamel and multiple old silver fillings that need to be replaced is one thing (ins. should cover it), but having healthy gums and bone is the foundation for long-term dental success. You have good hygiene! None of us can help how our enamel developed, or how many silver fillings were placed when we were kids. That was the standard of care for many years.

Get your exam/x-rays and new treatment plan soon. Both the "big hole" tooth & the possibly cracked tooth could turn very bad and exceedingly expensive if you don't catch it quick. You have beautiful teeth and a beautiful smile! Everything will be O.K.!

Dionne said...

so. funny.